Wednesday, March 8, 2017

Kleingarten






My photos do not do this post justice.  Granted it's still winter and the plants are still sleeping.  And I snapped these from my phone while walking my dog.  And.  And.  And.  But, please, hear me out, because I think this is one of the most delightful and charming things I have seen so far in Berlin.  The Kleingartenkolonien (small garden colony). 

At first I thought it was a village of tiny houses (all the rage!) but I could tell it was more old fashioned, so maybe the Germans had a tiny house village for the elderly.  My mind was spinning.  

Luke being Luke Googled it.  A small garden village.  Here is a tiny historical reference to what these are and why they exist.  This particular one is 1/2 block from our current apartment.  It is dormant right now.  The little cottages seem vacant.  But you can tell by the maintenance of the plots that they will come alive in only a couple of short months from now.  Oh Spring!  I have always loved you, but I think I will love you even more in Berlin.  

Already the birds are singing in the mornings.  The storks are flying overhead and making nests in chimneys, causing the locals to groan.  For me, it is all so charming.  I'm so very new.  I have child eyes right now.  Even though we will move away from this apartment in less than three weeks, I have every intention on returning to this Kleingarten to see it in all its garden glory.  



No comments:

Post a Comment